The Ash Center’s China Programs financially support Harvard University students pursuing China–related internships, independent research, and other forms of study conducted in China during winter and summer academic vacation periods.
Winter grant funding is only for HKS students who are conducting Policy Analysis Exercise (PAE) or Second Year Policy Analysis (SYPA) projects and is meant to defray travel costs in the event that the student's client in China is not able to fully cover all travel expenses. Summer funding is open to any Harvard University student who will return to campus for at least one semester after completion of the grant. HKS students need to apply through HKS Common Application. Non-HKS students who are interested in applying for summer funding, please submit an application directly to Laura Ma at Laura_ma@hks.harvard.edu. 2020 Summer funding application deadline TBD.
For a list of past projects, please click here.
How to Apply
HKS students should submit an application through the HKS Common Application. Non-HKS students interested in applying for support of an internship, independent research project, or other form of study conducted in China should send the following materials via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- 2-3 page Proposal (see description below)
- Resume or CV
- Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Recommendation from a faculty member that indicates a willingness to advise on methodology and analysis (an email endorsement is acceptable)
Research Proposal Components (3 pages maximum)
- Project description including research question, methodology, and how the project links to/builds upon past academic or professional work
- Personal statement including how the project furthers critical aspects of your future career development
- Timeline and destinations that will be visited during potential travel
- Budget including airfare, accommodations, local transportation, and other related expenses
- 3-5 page report outlining work completed and goals achieved
- Formal presentation